With an annual increase in levels of air pollution in India, buying an air purifier is one the best investments for your home and health. However, just like any other home product, an air purifier also needs periodic maintenance in order to work efficiently. Proper care and upkeep can drastically improve the performance and life of your air filters.
Before we begin with our care and cleaning guide for air purifiers, let’s have a brief look at the use case and functioning an air purifier.
Why should you purify indoor air?
Air has always been there and always will be, so it is quite natural to ask the question above. Well, in general, we spend almost 90 percent of our time indoors. According to several studies, indoor air can be 10 times more polluted than outdoor air. Some of the most common air pollutants inside homes include:
- Dust mites
- Tobacco smoke
- Cooking smoke
- Pet hair and dander
- Pollen and dust
- Volatile organic compounds (VOCs)
Combined together, these indoor air pollutants can have serious repercussions for your and your family’s health. Moreover, children and elderly are especially sensitive to indoor air pollution due to their weaker immune systems.
How air purifiers work?
An air purifier uses fans to pull in the ambient air and passes it through a series of air filters. Depending on the quality and technology, these filters can remove up to 99.9 percent of indoor air pollutants. A 3-stage air filtration process, including a pre-filter, a HEPA filter and an activated carbon filter, is the most effective way of improving indoor air quality (IAQ).
The Pre-filter removes large dust, hair and dirt particles, the HEPA filter removes ultra-fine particles of dust and pollen, and the activated carbon filter removes carcinogenic VOCs.
The performance of an air purifier is measured in Clean Air Delivery Rate (CADR). The higher the CADR, the faster an air purifier cleans indoor air.
Care and cleaning of home air purifiers
Basic tips for cleaning air purifiers:
- Always unplug the air purifier before moving or opening the unit.
- The Pre-filter usually clogs up faster due to larger dust, hair and dander particles that get stuck to it. However, the pre-filter in our air purifiers is washable and should be cleaned at least once a month to ensure continuous flow of air.
- Also, make sure that the pre-filter has dried before placing it back inside the unit.
- Permanent filters like the HEPA filter can be gently vacuumed every few months to remove pollutants stuck on the surface.
- Never use water, household cleaners or detergents for cleaning the permanent filters.
- Never scrape the unit or the air filter with sharp or pointed objects. A damaged air filter can make the device ineffective and necessitate the purchase of new air filters.
Important thing to note: A HEPA filter may appear discoloured after some time of use. This is normal and does not mean you need a new filter. Check with the air purifier provider for average filter life before buying new air filters.
About our Air Purifiers
We offer best home and office air purifiers in India. The brand makes low-maintenance air purifiers that can be easily cleaned at home. Apart from a tool-free design for air filter replacement, our air purifiers also have a notification system that lets you know when it is time for replacing the air filters. Moreover, a high-quality HEPA filter can last for up to 3,000 hours. Know more
Timely maintenance of your home air purifier will ensure clean air for everyone and protect your family and friends from the harmful effects of indoor air pollution. Also, when the air filters are cleaned and replaced regularly, the stress on the air purifier fan is reduced, ensuring a long-lasting performance by the unit. So, we advise that you only purchase genuine air filter replacements for your air purifier.