Indoor air pollution can be up to 10 times as harmful as compared to outdoor pollution because of the simple reason that we spend a majority of our time indoors. Dust, pet dander and chemical toxins are some of the known indoor air pollutants, however, today we are sharing five surprise household things and places which might be releasing air pollutants inside your home.
While they look so charming and nowadays come with scented glows, candles can be causing the release of a harmful set of gases and sediments in your house. All candles release carbon soot particles which are harmful to our respiratory system. Among these, paraffin candles are the worst. Made as a by-product of petroleum, coal or shale, paraffin is one the most toxic substances ever produced.
So, if you are in the habit of lighting your house up with too many candles, make sure that they are placed inappropriately ventilated spaces. Also, don’t buy paraffin candles at all. Furthermore, synthetic fragrances and artificial dyes used for decorating candles can also release toxic plastics and chemicals when you burn them. So, henceforth, look for candles made from beeswax or vegetable oils which contain natural oils and perfumes.
It might come as a surprise to you, but most stores bought air fresheners can pose serious health risks. These products contain a high concentration of ethylene based glycol ethers which are known for their neurological and blood contaminating effects.
So, buying an air purifier instead of air fresheners is a safer choice for cleaning indoor air and removing odors. Air purifiers recycle the ambient air instead of suppressing odor with chemical compounds, hence removing the smell permanently.
Household Cleaning Products
Most household cleaning products use chemicals which are harmful and evaporate quickly to become airborne. These alcohol, chlorine, ammonia or petroleum-based solvents can cause health conditions or flare up allergies. Some of these Volatile Organic Compounds and also result in severing discomfort for asthma patients.
Once again, using a home air purifier to remove VOCs is one of the best ways to counter indoor air pollution. The other way is to go for cleaning products made from organic ingredients that are less toxic and harmful.
A kitchen stove is one of the most polluting objects in your home. Apart from releasing harmful fumes of Nitrogen Dioxide, the stove can cause the release of Carbon Monoxide, which is a highly-toxic gas. Frequent exposure to kitchen smoke can result in respiratory illnesses in children and adults.
That’s why it is recommended that you use proper ventilation equipment such as chimneys, exhaust fans, and home air purifiers to keep your home and kitchen air clean.
New or refurbished home furnishings can also be a source of indoor air pollution as varnishes, adhesives and paints are often made from chemical compounds that release VOCs. Formaldehyde, a known carcinogen, is widely used as an adhesive and may become airborne when coming in contact with hot weather.
So, ensure that your home furniture is built and refurbished using natural, VOC-free substances. Moreover, get an air purifier with activated carbon air filter get rid of any VOCs that are floating around in your home air.
At Honeywell, we are constantly working to make indoor and outdoor environments safer for people and communities. Air quality is one our area of expertise and we have created several hallmark products for promoting healthier and happier lifestyles.